Saturday 27 October 2012

The Velveteen Rabbit

Irresistible title, that, for a post by me on velvet dresses. Hard to believe, but I've never read that book. I really should, shouldn't I?

Anyway, when I was a child I had some beautiful velvet dresses and skirts. There's something so luxurious and yet comforting about a good quality velvet fabric. 

With the return of the gothic this autumn-winter, a few velvet dresses have been making an appearance of late (including this galaxy number I'm STILL obsessed with). Velvet, like last season's lace, is really versatile for winter - you can add a chunky cardigan and boots for day, and you can add jewels and pretty shoes for evening. I've accessorised my favourite dressy and casual velvet frocks (really, doesn't Polyvore remind you of those cardboard dolls with all the cut out tabbed clothing and accessories?).








2 comments:

  1. I also love velvet (something that will surprise no one) and I particularly love it in rich autumny wine colours; I absolutely adore that Adrianna Papell dress!

    I naturally think you should get the galaxy dress, because it is lovely and because I think it would make you smile every time you wore it!

    Topshop have some skater skirts in velvet, including a foresty green one, which I might get if the fabric's reasonable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second dress is to die for! Doing grabby hands right now ;) haha but honestly, too pretty. I much prefer this more sleek velvet to crushed velvet. xx

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Rabbit-like in a nose that twitches when I laugh and front teeth not 100% rectified by 7 years of braces, postcolonial in being of British-Bangladeshi heritage (and reading many many books thereon). Books, tea and dresses: these are some of my favourite things.