Tuesday 7 September 2010

Prints Charming

I am a lover of quirky and whimsical prints. The more of a story it can tell, the more I love it. It makes me think of Roland Barthes's idea that clothes can be narratives, that they are written texts on the body to be interpreted and decoded. Perhaps not so much the case on the day you schlep to the supermarket in your gym gear (though that tells a story in itself) but I think if you are into fashion or style you want your clothes to say something about you.And prints are one of the simplest ways of expressing individuality and personality in clothing.

So here are some of my most beloved prints in my collection:


The very bottom grey animal print (my beloved Paul and Joe Sister dress I ordered all the way from Paris), the fourth rabbit print (obviousement), the second bug print (which looks like an innocuous leopard print from afar, and is much creepier up close) and the fifth Liberty print are my absolute favourites.

2 comments:

  1. Hi fellow bunny fan!

    Just spied this and thought you might like it too...! http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-sales/11023/14621/JACQUARD%2BRABBITS%2BTEE%2BSHIRT

    There's two different prints of bunnies x

    The doll on fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all just so beautiful!! Esp the second-to-last folksy type one, the purply-pink birds & flowers (H&M sundress?) and the gooorgeous floral-on-white print just after it! Being a prints fiend too, I'm so tempted to do something similar, even though I don't have a blog... :P

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Rabbit-like in a nose that twitches when I laugh and front teeth not 100% rectified by 7 years of braces, postcolonial in being of British-Bangladeshi heritage (and reading many many books thereon). Books, tea and dresses: these are some of my favourite things.