Thursday 23 August 2012

Red (or, Orange or Plum) Riding Hood

Yes, it's just August and we're in the middle of a heat wave. But my mind is firmly in "autumnal mode" now. Plus I've gone several years without being able to find a decent new winter coat so I have to keep an eagle eye out for the new stuff hitting the shops, in case I miss the perfect one. So far the following have caught my eye. I'd like to keep my Comptoir de Cotonniers purple tulip coat that I wear every winter for smarter occasions, I think, as it is just so perfect in fit and the wool is such good quality. But I do need a hooded coat for Southampton - which often has coastal, blustery weather (RIP several cute Primark umbrellas).


Three coats for living on the coast




From left to right:

1. Topshop, £98

I'm not sure the swingyness will do me any favours whatsoever, but the colour is lovely and it really does make me think of a gothic Red Riding Hood.

2. Very/Isme, £55

I do rather like this in theory, slightly flared/nipped in shape (a full flared skirt doesn't work on little stumpy me, I've found). But I'm not sure what the quality will be like.

3. H&M, £35

I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't buy this coat last year in the red, which was so perfectly Red Riding Hood. But the orange actually looks rather nice I think, at least here - it very much depends on what it looks like in real life. I don't want to glow in the dark!




5 comments:

  1. I like the Very one but like you said you can't be sure of the quality. I once bought a seemingly nice cost on eBay (from China) which turned out to be horrid and a complete waste of £25. Never again! I think New Look and H&M do really good coats xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the second coat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMmm coats, I love coats!!I can't wait for fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of the first one, if it were available in red it would be the perfect red riding hood coat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the first one, it's so clean and chic and the colour is perfect

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Rabbit-like in a nose that twitches when I laugh and front teeth not 100% rectified by 7 years of braces, postcolonial in being of British-Bangladeshi heritage (and reading many many books thereon). Books, tea and dresses: these are some of my favourite things.